Properties of Matter

Today, me and my partner conducted a science activity in class. Our topic was on properties of matter. We created a poster that showed the physical properties and chemical properties of matter. We discussed what properties of density are, such as mass and volume. To demonstrate density, we demonstrated an egg sink or float activity using salt. We had the class predict if the egg would sink or float with the salt. We showed that the egg was able to float with the salt because salt water has higher density than regular water. We also had a second activity in which students would be given bags of various objects. They would be observing the materials and filling out a chart to determine the objects’ different physical properties, such as hardness, texture, shape, color, and flexibility. Through these activities, students would be able to further understand what the physical properties of matter consist of, which would be density, hardness, texture, etc.

One thought on “Properties of Matter

1. I think our topic was really interesting. I was able to learn more about what makes up matter, such as the physical and chemical properties. I learned how to incorporate small activities to teach properties of matter. The egg and salt activity teaches properties of density. The bag of items activity teaches physical properties of object.